Monday, January 9, 2017

RG Wing Gundam Zero EW Mini Review



So if you didn't know, my second kit ever was the RG RX-78-2, long story short I completely ruined it and it turned me off RG's completely. That is until my friend gave bought this in Japan and gave it to me as a gift. Of course, since it was a gift I accepted it happily and was excited to build it, however inside I was terrified of doing so, as my last RG attempt went horribly. However, I mustered up the courage, and did my best not to ruin this kit. After building, I can safely that my RG Wing Zero Custom was built with no issues, and at the same time had convinced me to give RG's another chance, and boy I did not regret giving that chance.




Since this is an RG, it has a pre-molded inner frame like the rest do. This kit uses MS Joint 9, which is one of the more sturdier frames, making this one of the more beginner friendly RG's, hence my considerable ease of building this compared to the nightmare that was the RG RX-78-2 and MS Joint 1. I'm the type of builder to build the frame before building, so this was a fun thing to do.




The kit itself is a very nice looking one, if only a little simple. I'd definitely recommend putting on the RG stickers on this one, as without it, it doesn't have an extreme amount of detail compared to most other RG's, otherwise, I think it looks great. This is a kit you'll want to put on an Action Base, those giant majestic wings should not be wasted on the ground, although it is possible to pose him on the floor if you use those rear wings. The kit itself is not too difficult of a build, a beginner should be able to handle it, but only after a few HG's or MG's, it's more beginner friendly than most, but still isn't as much as the 00 brothers. Articulation-wise, it's just like other RG's, and is very good, if anything, the balance of the poses will be off-set with those huge wings, so again, put him on an Action Base for the best effect.




Verdict:

After the bad taste the RG RX-78-2 left in my mouth, it was this kit that rescued my opinion on the line and gave it a second chance. Now that I know the RG RX-78-2 was just badly engineered due to age, I sort of forgive the line. Yes the fragility is not preferred, but the kit that come from the RG line are really good looking, and the Wing Zero EW is no exception. This kit has little flaws I can speak of, the biggest one I can think of is the fact that it's still an RG, and will need to be handled with care, everything else is pretty much what you'd expect from an RG, good articulation, fantastic looks with all decals applied. It's not the most impressive kit from an engineering perspective, but it looks fantastic and commands some serious shelf presence around other 1/144 scale kits with it's wings spread out. It doesn't do anything truly impressive, but at the same time doesn't do anything bad either.

Pros:

- Extreme, majestic presence due to wings, especially when put on an Action Base. (!)
- Less fragile than most other RG's, quite sturdy due to simplicity.
- Articulation is very good as expected from an RG.

Cons:

- Does not have the best balance and does not include a stand either, action base 2 is recommended. (!)
- Details are not as wowing as other RG kits. 

Neutral:

- Simpler than most other RG's.

No comments:

Post a Comment