Tuesday, January 10, 2017

GaoGao HG00 GN-X III ESF Type Mini Review (Painted)



This was my first bootleg kit, and boy was it an experience. This kit was made by GaoGao, and the reason I own it is because my instructor gave this to me as a test dummy, as well as more to the other students. This thing and it's contents were therefore, used to test things, and I got to learn how to use a knife better, cut parts off runners, mix paints and airbrush, and as you can see half of the kit is airbrushed pink.




Due to being a GaoGao kit, it was one hell of a nightmare to build. I had to sand and cut down the pegs so the parts could just fit together, and seamlines still appear. There were a few cases of mold flash, which I got rid of using my knife. While trying to fix the fitting, I even cut myself on my thumb a little badly, and had to wear a bandage for a few days. I also have to mention, the stickers on this are absolute crap, they do not stick on very well, and sometimes I had to put superglue on a needle and brush the end of the sticker a bit to get them to stick. The one on the face was the worst, it was on a bent surface, and it never stuck, I had to quickly brush both sides with superglue, and it wasn't fun. Plastic quality is also considerable lower, it feels cheaper and rougher than Bandai PS plastic, their plastics are not fun to deal with. It was not a fun experience and really shows how bad GaoGao make their kits, do not buy. I don't regret the experience that much though, as now I know how it feels to build a GaoGao kit.




Now the kit itself isn't that bad, most problems stem from the fact it's a GaoGao bootleg and their quality control is horrible. The product itself is a replica of the HG00 GN-X III, and this it's attributes mainly carry over. It's got a cool lance, decent articulation and good looking accessories. There are a few missing color apps, but they aren't too noticeable. It's definitely got a unique design, and that could be attributed as either good or bad for you. One thing GaoGao did add is their stand, they added a typical runner base stand for this kit, which is a nice inclusion. It's also worthy to note that this kit comes with the standard black stand, and that the action base port is in the back waist armor instead of in between the legs.




Verdict:

GaoGao's kit of the GN-X III is a bad one, and likely most of their other kits are as well as well. Horrible fitting, bad plastic quality, stickers don't like to stick, bad seamlines and more, the quality control of this kit is highly inferior compared to that of a Bandai kit. I've built this kit with a more proper modeller, so he taught me a few things. Still, as a kit, this one isn't a very good one, even for a bootleg. Do not buy this kit.

Pros:

- Unique design of MS and weapons.
- Cheaper than the official thing.
- Includes a stand. 

Cons:

- Fitting of parts is absolutely horrible, you will have to sand a lot to get things to fit. (!)
- Certain seamlines aren't the most well hidden, bootleg quality enhances the issues.
- Adhesive used for stickers is very weak.
- Plastic quality is not as good as Bandai's, feels a lot rougher and cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment