Friday, January 13, 2017

RG Gundam Astray Blue Frame Mini Review (P-Bandai)



I was always a fan of the Astrays, my first kit was the HG Red Frame and the RG was what made me want to build it for my first kit. Of course since it was the HG, I never got to experience building the RG, which looks a lot better and more detailed in my opinion. So when the Blue Frame was announced as P-Bandai, I knew I had to get this one, and eventually did get it as my first P-Bandai kit. I just knew that I couldn't miss out on it.




Like other RG's, he comes with a full inner frame molded on the runner. Unlike other RG's however, the Astray is known for having actual color in it's frame, since the Red Frame actually does show a bit of it's frame in the show. This in turn allows Bandai to show off more detail and color separation in some areas using the frame, as well as show more moving part detail using the pure frame.




The finished kit is one of the most detailed and good looking kits i've ever seen. While the HG Red Frame was good, I think the RG Astray looks the best. It's got the propotions, color separation, detail, and with decals and panel lines applied, it's one of the most detailed kits i've ever seen. This thing is fantastic, there are a few loose parts like the ankleguards, waist and the red part on the torso, but that's it. This kit is otherwise slightly more solid than a typical RG, but less so than the really solid ones. Articulation like other RG's is excellent, with the Astray's lightweight, agile design, the shoulderpads are the only true limitations on this RG, everything else is poseable and full of movement. The moving parts of an RG really show on this kit, I love how when bending the knee, the thigh moves, the calf frame moves, and even the knee armor splits and reveals some of that beautiful inner frame from the side, it looks fantastic. As for what makes it special, it has the Red Frame's accessories minus the Gerbera Straight. In it's place, it has it's Bazooka which does have a removable ammo clip, and it's surprisingly good looking and detailed. There are also a few decals which are also unique to this kit too, it's not just a recolor of the Red Frame's decals. I've heard people saying it's faceplate looks bad, but I honestly don't think it looks bad at all, while it isn't accurate to the boxart, it's still part of the RG redesign and I can accept it easily.




Verdict:

Overall I think the RG Gundam Astray Blue Frame is a fantastic kit. It's got a lot going for it, albeit with minor flaws. I think the main problem with this kit are the few loose parts, that and the fact that only the RG fingers are white but that's completely forgivable due to the fact they're RG hands. Overall I think this kit looks great, articulates well, has some really nice accessories, and best of all has sleek proportions as well as packing a ton of detail in a 1/144 package. I'm, glad I got to build the RG Astray through the Blue Frame, and i'm glad I managed to get it in time too. I personally think the RG Astray is a kit every Astray Fan should have, and if you can get the Blue Frame for a fair price, I do recommend getting your hands on it.

Pros:

- A lot of molded in detail, using the plethora of stickers combined with panel lining make this thing look awesome. (!)
- Frame is molded in color and shows in various points of the MS, shows even more if you bend certain joints enough. (!)
- Proportions are sleek and perfect, looks extremely smooth and agile. 
- Articulation is very good on this kit, do not find a lot of want for more.

Cons:

- A few loose parts on the MS, nothing big but they do get annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment