Friday, January 13, 2017

MG Gundam Amazing Red Warrior Mini Review



Before I had bought this kit, I was strictly a 1/144 scale builder, as I always liked having things to scale with their anime counterparts. I was planning on sticking with it but I really wanted to try MG's, and after a lot of debating it hit me: I could display them on different shelves.

Mindblowing I know.

So with this newfound knowledge, I looked at some MG's to check which one I wanted, and after watching Type V3's review I knew the Amazing Red Warrior was going to be my first. So I went to Fook Lee and bought my first MG.




Like most other MG's, this kit has a full inner frame. This frame is based off of the RX-78-2 2.0's inner frame and is very similar to it un turn. However there are a lot of new parts like the torso, shoulders and feet. Still, the frame overall is very similar though, which means the inner frame is a solid one with a few moving parts and gimmicks. The only working pistons are in the feet, all the rest is molded in detail. The frame itself is very sturdy, articulate and very detailed as well. It's gotta be one of my favorite inner frames.




As a first MG, I was well impressed with this kit. It had fantastic articulation, a solid build, a lot of playability, and tones of gimmicks, you can even see the mini missiles in the chest and front skirts here in this image. It was a fantastic first MG, a few people say that it's main flaw is that it looks boring OOB, and I agree for the most part. But that's anime accurate, Red Warrior only has 2 red as his predominant color, hence the name, and honestly I think that if you put the stickers on, the kit shines a lot better. If you can do waterslides then do them, the decals make this kit from good to damn great. His accessories are also the best part, Amazing Red Warrior uses the modular weapon system, so you can mix and match some of his weapons. I prefer just using the Hyper Bazooka and Beam Gatling together attached to the backpack, dakka is the best.




Verdict:

I definitely do not regret getting this kit as my first MG, not only is it a sturdy, fun build, but the finished product is absolutely fantastic. Of course, due to the red plastic, nub removal can be difficult, and due to the design of the MS, there isn't a lot of color separation to be had. Still, I think this kit is fantastic with little issues, put on the decals, and you're golden. This kit is just that good, I strongly recommend anyone interested to go for the MG Amazing Red Warrior.

Pros:

- Modular weapon system is so much fun to mess around with. (!)
- Even with that, you get a ton of accessories. (!)
- Quite a lot of fun gimmicks. (!)
- Inner frame is very detailed with a few moving parts.
- Articulation is great.
- Sturdy build, no posing issues whatsoever.

Cons:

- Red plastic is not very nub friendly.

Neutral:

- Can look bland or boring OOB, applying decals fixes a lot of those issues. Weapons might need a bit of detail though.

No comments:

Post a Comment